According to my daughter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is one of the latest health food. Like many health food fads, I was not going to use it when I found out that it is pretty expensive! However, when I saw it at Costco’s for £11.99 for a 1.5 litre container, I thought I would give it a try.
My first experiment was with a Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe that I found. Those cookies turned out to be very good. Everyone who tried one commented on how good they were. So, I thought I would try them in an Oatmeal Cookie. Wow! They are the best Oatmeal Cookie I have ever made!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of mixed spice (optional and you can use cinnamon and ground cloves)
- 1/3 cup of almond milk
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Cup of all purpose flour (125 gm)
- 2 Cup of rolled oats (200 gm)
- ½ cup of raisins (optional)
- Cream coconut oil and brown sugar together.
- Add almond milk and vanilla (add mixed spice at this stage)
- Sift baking powder, baking soda and flour together
- Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture
- Fold in oats and raisins
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet a couple of inches apart (depending on the size) I used a 1.8 oz (2 inches/5cm in diameter)ice cream scoop.
- Pressed them down a bit and baked them on 170 Centigrade until brown around the edges.
- Let them cool slightly on the pan before you put them on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy! Makes about 18.