I can not understand the attraction of buying pizzas either from a takeout or frozen. The truth is that pizza is one of the easiest and most cost effective foods that you can make.
600 grams of strong plain flour (can use ciabatta flour and/or combination) (approx. 1lb 5 oz/ 4 1/2 cups)
2 Tbsp of dried milk powder
2 Tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp of sugar
34 grams of butter or olive oil (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
2 1/2 Tsp of dried yeast
330ml of water
- Place ingredients in the mixing bowl. Preferably in the order listed above.
- Mix in with your food processor using the dough hook. Alternatively a metal bowl works using a metal spoon.
- When dough is well mixed and forming a moist ball of dough,
- Cover and leave to rest if possible. Resting for 15 to 30 minutes is sufficient, but I have been known not to have time and just go straight into using it
I use a very simple “about” pizza sauce.
- About 2/3 of a jar of passata/crushed tomatoes
- A spoon of sugar
- Oregano and/or Italian herbs (amount depends on your preference)
- Dried onion flakes (optional)
- Dried Garlic (optional)
- Roll out dough and place on a greased pizza pan with wholes on the base which helps make it crisp. Alternatively, once pizza is prepared for baking you can place on a preheated pizza stone. (Not always so easy)
- Spread sauce on dough.
- Now here is the big questions. Do you put cheese next or your toppings?
- I usually put a few toppings (ie mushrooms, peppers, artichoke hearts, etc.)
- Spread a combination of mozarella and cheddar.
- Finally a few more toppings such as olives or more mushrooms.
- Bake in a preheated oven set at 200 degrees C. The time depends on your oven, but you can usually tell when the cheese starts to go brown.
Options to consider!
- Serve as is or be creative and add fresh grated parmesan or fresh leaves such as rocket or spinach!
- Pizza dough does freeze. I usually make the above recipe and divide into 3. Freeze just after you have mixed the dough. Defrost, roll, top, and bake!
- A rough estimate of costs is about £2.00 per pizza excluding baking costs and more expensive toppings.